Director of Development (full time)
Music of the Baroque occupies a special place in the rich cultural life of Chicago. Under the artistic direction of internationally acclaimed British conductor Jane Glover, Music of the Baroque’s professional chorus and orchestra is one of the leading ensembles in the country devoted to the performance of music from the 17th centuries, particularly the great works of Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, Mozart, and Haydn. The organization also runs a highly successful education program in six Chicago public schools and one of the highlights of the season is the annual gala in Chicago.
Following a period of work with a Development Consultant, the organization is now seeking to appoint a full-time Director of Development to help deliver its ambitions up to and beyond its 50th anniversary in the 2020-21 season. This is a newly created position in a dynamic and visionary organization. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Development is a member of the senior leadership team and will play an important role in the strategic direction of the organization, ensuring its continuing success.
Music of the Baroque’s budget has grown to over $2 million in recent years. The organization has a dedicated and talented administrative staff and a passionate board of directors who are actively engaged in fundraising. The ensemble performs regularly at the Harris Theater in downtown Chicago, the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts in Skokie, city and suburban churches, and recently made its debut at Millennium Park in front of an audience of 5000 people.
- Lead individual, foundation, corporate, and special events fundraising efforts to reach an annual contributed income goal of $1.5m;
- Plan and execute the annual gala benefit;
- Create and manage the 50th anniversary season (2020/21) fundraising campaign;
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to identify, cultivate, and solicit major donors and sponsors;
- Manage and grow the major gifts and planned giving program;
- Supervise the work of the Development Manager;
- Work closely with the marketing team on messaging and public communications;
- Some weekend and evening work is required
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 5-7 years of non-profit fundraising experience, with at least 2-3 years in a leadership role;
- Strong track record in securing major gifts and event-related fundraising initiatives;
- Knowledge of Chicago’s philanthropic and arts community preferred
Salary commensurate with experience, excellent benefits, attractive downtown working environment.
To apply, please email résumé and cover letter detailing your fundraising achievements and interest in this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Development” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries please. Music of the Baroque is an equal opportunity employer.