2017-18 Concert Season
Join us for a season of powerful stories, great voices, and brilliant music! To renew your current subscription, click here. If you're not currently a subscriber and would like to purchase 3 concerts or more and save, call our box office at 312.551.1414 Monday through Friday, 10 am to 5 pm. Single tickets will go on sale August 1.
Written in the spirit of Bach and Handel, whose music he loved, Felix Mendelssohn’s powerful choral masterpiece brings to life some of the most dramatic moments in the Old Testament. Fire comes from the heavens, storms gather, and the people cry for vengeance. From the prophet’s curse of drought to his ascent to heaven on a fiery chariot, Elijah is an extraordinary musical experience. Music Director Jane Glover conducts an all-star cast and the chorus Opera News calls “one of Chicago’s musical glories.”
- Saturday, September 16, 7:30 PM Harris Theater, Chicago
- Sunday, September 17, 7:30 PM North Shore Center, Skokie
J. S. Bach’s Concerto for Oboe and Violin headlines an evening that also features a concerto for two violins by Telemann and a double cello concerto by Vivaldi. Beethoven’s Symphony No. 2 provides classical contrast in a sparkling orchestral program led with trademark energy and zest by Principal Guest Conductor Nicholas Kraemer.
- Sunday, November 19, 7:30 PM North Shore Center, Skokie
- Monday, November 20, 7:30 PM Harris Theater, Chicago
Celebrate the season with inspiring music in beautiful spaces. Chorus Director William Jon Gray leads the Music of the Baroque Chorus and virtuoso eight-part brass ensemble in "dizzyingly eclectic and wide-ranging ancient, Baroque and contemporary sacred music, performed with great feeling and expressive depth." (Chicago Classical Review)
- Thursday, December 14, 8:00 PM Grace Lutheran Church, River Forest
- Friday, December 15, 8:00 PM St. Michael’s, Chicago (Old Town)
- Saturday, December 16, 3:00 PM Divine Word Chapel, Northbrook
- Sunday, December 17, 3:00 PM Divine Word Chapel, Northbrook
Two of the composer's works for multiple soloists—the profound Sinfonia Concertante for Violin and Viola and his lively Sinfonia Concertante for Four Winds—are featured in a Mozart birthday celebration program that also includes the Symphony No. 33. Join us to discover why critics and audiences cheer whenever Music Director Jane Glover conducts Mozart.
- Sunday, January 28, 7:30 PM North Shore Center, Skokie
- Monday, January 29, 7:30 PM Harris Theater, Chicago
The Jewish orphan Esther becomes Queen of Persia and saves her people from massacre by the villain Haman in this compelling and intimate musical drama. Don’t miss the tale of a triumphant heroine, told in sensuous arias and stirring choruses by master storyteller George Frideric Handel. Jane Glover conducts the Music of the Baroque premiere of Esther.
- Sunday, February 25, 3:00 PM North Shore Center, Skokie
- Tuesday, February 27, 7:30 PM Harris Theater, Chicago
Johann Sebastian Bach sets scripture and poetry to music of heartbreaking beauty in a deeply human, intensely dramatic telling of Christ’s betrayal, suffering, and death. Join us for one of the greatest choral works of all time—sung and played with the commitment and fervor Music of the Baroque always brings to Bach’s music.
- Sunday, March 25, 3:00 PM North Shore Center, Skokie
- Monday, March 26, 7:30 PM Harris Theater, Chicago
The human voice soars with instrumental freedom in a program of gorgeous sacred works featuring rising young singers under the baton of early music specialist Paul Agnew. Virtuosic vocal “concertos” by Handel and Vivaldi are heard alongside the Pergolesi Stabat Mater—a profoundly moving portrait of a mother’s grief.
- Sunday, April 22, 7:30 PM North Shore Center, Skokie
- Monday, April 23, 7:30 PM Harris Theater, Chicago
The virtuoso players of the Music of the Baroque orchestra take the stage in teams of three for an evening of musical camaraderie. Highlights of a delightful program include Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 and Fourth Orchestral Suite and a Telemann triple concerto for violins and oboes.
- Sunday, May 13, 3:00 PM North Shore Center, Skokie
- Monday, May 14, 7:30 PM Harris Theater, Chicago